Ian Roberts Memorial Fell Race (BM) 2017
Category: Fell Published Date Hits: 558
Sunday March 5th 2017, 11am
Minimum age - 18 years old (on day of race)
Marsden Cricket Club (HD7 6NN) - from 09:30 am.
Race start is about 10 minutes walk from registration.
As this race is early in the season, come prepared to carry kit suitable for winter conditions (i.e. full waterproof body cover). Any kit requirements on the day will be posted in the Cricket Club and must be adhered to.
We have been asked by the cricket club committee to remind all runners to try & keep the clubhouse as clean as possible. Please ensure that after the race you take off any muddy, wet shoes and do not clean your shoes or socks in the sinks in the toilets. Failure to respect the cricket club’s facilities may jeopardise future races.
Ian Roberts 2017 – race route description:
- Straight along the track to road crossing (1)
- Flagged tussocky trod, then gently uphill to reach the catchwater; along catchwater to junction (2)
- This time continue along catchwater to a boggy area beneath Swellands dam. Up to footbridge (3) and along a decent trod to another footbridge at Black Moss (4)
- Join Pennine Way path here and follow it to junction with Standedge Trail (5)
- Follow Standedge Trail eastwards to junction with a narrow path by a catchwater (6)
- Turn off left along catchwater to reach road (7)
- Left on the road briefly, then straight up Pule Hill (8); good path gently downhill above edge and quarries
- At (9) a path comes up an incline to the left, but instead head right (east) on another of those tussocky trods (something of a local speciality). Eventually re-join the main track at the old quarry workings near the start
- Same as outwards route along track, across the road (10). Follow outwards route up to the catchwater. At the junction (11) follow flags down and leftwards on occasional sheeptrods, becoming more tussocky lower down
- Cross stream in the bottom of Butterly Clough and go up to cross a fence (care with the stile) and reach a stone wall. Follow walls to join a good path which zig-zags down to again cross the Butterly Clough stream lower down. Please note that the footbridge at the bottom has been removed by Yorkshire Water on safety grounds, so please cross where indicated. You WILL get your feet wet! Short sharp uphill to cross a stile and follow a narrow path along a fence and over another stile before reaching the finish just before the cricket ground.
Race and events calendar
All new members must attend an induction session before they will be allowed to join in any training sessions/runs.
For details of the next induction sessions, please review the race and events calendar above